- 100 gm parboiled pigeon peas (tur dal)
- Tamarind (about the size of a lemon)
- 1/4 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 50 gm French beans
- 1/4 cup diced potato
- 5 drumstick chunks—3 inches each
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili Powder
- 3 red chilies
- 2 bean-sized chunks asafetida
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 11/2 tbsp sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp rice flour
- 250 ml water
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
How to make Idli Sambar
To prepare idlis, grease idli molds with sesame oil, pour idli batter into the molds and steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
Note: Do not fill the molds completely. Ensure that there is room for batter to rise.
March 30th is celebrated as World Idly Day!