- 1-1/4 tbps pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-1/2 tbps teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 3 tbps tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbps fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, best quality such as Swanson
- 1 tbps corn starch
- 2 tbps granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plain low fat (2%) or whole Greek yogurt (do not use nonfat)
- 1 cup frozen peas (no need to thaw)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves – chopped
Chicken curry does not require much from you: some slightly sweet curry sauce thickened with Greek yoghurt dotted with thinly sliced chicken breasts sautéed with curry powder. The preparation time is even less than the time it will take you to prepare some basmati rice, that is less than 30 minutes! Ever wondered why all the chicken curry meals you have tasted have always been filled with tender chicken? Three words will answer that: curried roasted carrots!. The taste and spice level of this dish will vary a bit depending on the type of curry powder you use.
Chicken is an excellent source of protein and contains less fat than most meats. The chicken breast, in particular, contains half the fat of a steak. Chicken is a good source of niacin (which possesses cancer-fighting properties) as well as the trace mineral selenium.
How to Make Chicken Curry