South Indian Chicken Biryani
3 cups soaked for 20 minutes
Basmati/Seeraga Samba rice
finely chopped onions
Split green chilies
cup mint leaves
cup chopped coriander leaves
tbsp ginger garlic paste
tsp turmeric powder
tsp red chili powder
tbsp coriander powder
salt to taste
For the masala:
chopped green chilies
How to make South Indian Chicken Biryani
How to make chicken masala and the rice:
- Add turmeric powder to the chicken and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare a coarse masala powder with the shallots, green chilies, bay leaf, cardamoms, cinnamon, clove and star anise.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker or handi.
- Add chopped onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cover cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes become pulpy.
- Add the ground masala and turmeric powder and the marinated chicken.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add the ginger garlic paste, chili and coriander powders, mint and coriander leaves and the curd. Stir to combine, add 1/2 cup water and cook in medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Add 5 more cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add the washed and drained rice and salt (to taste) and cook covered on low flame for 15 minutes.
How to make the dum:
- Heat an iron tawa and place the pressure cooker/handi on it.
- Cook covered on low flame for 10 - 15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked.
- Serve the biryani with brinjal pachadi or any other raita.
MS Dhoni, along with his team, vacated the 5-star hotel Grand Kakatiya, because the hotel officials objected to bringing in homemade Hyderbadi biriyani inside the premises. The team shifted to Taj Krishna instead.
More Chicken Biryani Recipes
Chettinad Chicken Biryani
Zafrani Chicken Biryani
Dindigul Chicken Biryani
Hyderabad Chicken Dum Biryani
Chicken Biryani with Brown Rice
Mumbai Style Chicken Biryani
Ambur Chicken Biryani
Chicken Reshmi Biryani