How to make Barley Rava Idli
- Wash and soak barley in water overnight.
- Drain excess water and grind barley to a smooth paste. Tranfer ground barley to bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan over and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, and chana dal. Allow the dal to turn golden brown. This will take a minute or two.
- Add chopped chili and sauté for until tender. Follow up semolina and roast for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine roasted semolina, barley paste, and curd, barley paste, a splash of water, salt, and a pinch of baking powder. The resulting mixture should be a thick batter that has a slight resistance against gravity, but still flows.
- Grease idli plates with a little oil. Drop a ladle full of batter into each of the moulds. Steam covered for 10 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick. If it comes out clean, remove the cakes from the moulds and enjoy with your favourite condiments.
The majority of barley in the world is used as animal feed.