How to make Chilli Idli
- Cut the cold idlis into bite sized cubes.
- Mix cornflour,rice flour, and a little salt in a bowl.
- Toss the idlis.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and tomatoes.
- Cube the bell pepper.
- Slit or finely chop the green chillies.
- Crush the ginger garlic.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Fry the idli cubes in hot oil at medium high heat.
Note: They should become golden brown and crisp.
- Remove to a kitchen towel and set aside.
- Remove the oil from the pan leaving about 3 teaspoons.
- Temper with cumin,green chillies,ginger garlic, and sauté well for 4-5 minutes.
- Add curry leaves and sauté well.
- Add the finely chopped onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well and sauté till it turns mushy.
- Add the cubed bell peppers, salt,sugar,chilli powder,turmeric powder, and tomato sauce (if using).
- Mix well and cook till the masala leaves are out of oil.
- Add the fried idlis and mix gently.
- Remove from flame and add lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!
There are only 5 domesticated species of chilli pepper.