How to make Khaman Dhokla
- In a bowl, combine gram flour, yogurt and salt with approximately one cup of warm water. Mix thoroughly making to eliminate lumps and set aside to ferment for three to four hours.
- To the fermented batter, add turmeric powder and green chilli-ginger paste.
- Heat a steamer and grease a thali/plate.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, soda bicarbonate, one teaspoon of oil. Add mixture to the batter and whisk briskly.
- Pour the batter into the greased plate and place it in the steamer.
- Cover with the lid and steam for 10 minutes.
- Once done, let cool a little.
- Cut into squares and tranfer dhoklas to serving bowl or plate.
- Heat remaining oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Remove from heat and pour over the dhoklas. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and scraped coconut.
- Serve and enjoy!
Per traditional recipes of the panchanmrutha, yoghurt represents strength.