How to make Achappam
- Mix the coconut milk and rice flour together. This becomes the batter. Break the eggs and add it to the batter.
- Put the sesame seeds, cumin seeds, and salt. Ensure that it is mixed thoroughly.
- Add up the sugar. Do it little by little. Mix it as the sugar is added.
- Look for a pan. Put oil in it. Heat the oil. Make an achappam mold. Put it in the oil. Get it fried.
- Continue with the process until you have fried all the achappam mold. Get the oil drained off it.
- Serve it at once.
- Achappam is an integral part of Christmas celebrations among Malayali and Goan Christians.
- The Sri Lankan version of achapam is called koki.
- Rossettes are of deep-fried cookie-like pastries of Scandinavian origin. A traditional Swedish recipe for making rosettes calls for a rosette maker—an intricately designed iron rod which is immersed in extremely hot oil for a few seconds, and then into the batter, and back into the oil to produce crisp rose-shaped shell along the curvatures.