- 4-8 idlis, depending on their size
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white lentils (if unavailable yellow lentils is an alternative)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 onion, roughly sliced
- 1 tsp grated or finely chopped ginger
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup grated or very finely chopped carrots (about 1 medium-sized carrot)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- salt to taste
How to make Idli Upma
The dish is delicious on its own but goes well with chutneys, sambar or fresh raita.
Since it is a breakfast recipe, you might consider to serve it with a fried or poached egg on top.
Idli upma is also delicious in an omelet. You need to do it in two batches: remove half of the mix from the pan, add the beaten eggs and fry it to your preferred consistency. Now make the second batch or serve as half original idli upma, half omelet.