How to make Sooyan
- Grind soaked chana dal to a fine paste, pressure cook the paste, and let cool.
- Crush cooked dal paste into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Dissolve the jaggery in a pan with 3 cups of water. Once the jiggery dissolves, strain it to a colander to remove impurities and return to pan to heat.
- Once a a one-thread consistency is achieved, and crushed pieces of cooked chana dal, grated coconut, and cardamom powder. Stir to combine, turn off the heat, and let cool
- Make lemon-sized balls and set aside. This is the filling and we will call it pooranam.
- Blitz rice and urad dal together to make a fine powder. Add water and make it into a thick batter.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Dip the poornam balls into the batter and gently slip them into the oil, one by one.
Note: Deep fry at least five at a time.
- Drain and serve hot or cold with sugar on top.
Over 20 billion coconuts are harvested annually.