- Add chana dal to a pressure cooker and cook for about a minute adding water.
- Remove excess water and coarsely grind the dal. Add sugar to the mashed dal and mix well. Cook at a slow pace.
- Add grated nutmeg and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Cook on low flame while stirring continuously until the mixture turns dry. Allowto cool.
- Add maida in a bowl to prepare the dough. Combine with ghee and salt, mixing thoroughly. Make a semi-soft dough with water. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set aside for half an hour.
- Roll flat balls from the dough just the same way as chapatis. Dust with maida and roll into round shapes. Fill with puran (filling) and cover the edges. Roll again into a round shape.
- Cook the puranpoli on a hot tawa cooking both sides evenly, applying lots of ghee. Serve hot!
Interestingly, one of the most important spices used in the puranpoli recipe, nutmeg, was once used to ward off plague. Ground nutmeg is also a source of the nutmeg essential oil which is very popular in the pharma and perfume industries.