How to make Tofu Biryani
- Wash rice and soak it in clean water. After 30 minute, drain and set aside.
- In a bowl,combine the ingredients to prepare the marinade. Add tofu cubes and stir well. Use hands, if necessary, to coat the tofu cubes with the mixture. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil/ghee until it starts giving out a bit of smoke.
- Add onion, green chilies, and sliced onion. Sauté till onion turns brown. Now, introduce mint leaves and sauté again for few seconds.
- Add biryani masala and chopped tomatoes. Sauté for a couple of minutes till tomatoes get soggy.
- Put chopped baby corn and tofu and sauté well.
- Add water and let it boil. Add rice and salt and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and pressure cook on low flame. Turn off the flame after 1 whistle.
- Let the pressure subside. Serve toothsome tofu biryani hot!
- Biryani comes from the Persian word Biriani which means fried before cooking.
- Basmati in Hindi means ‘queen of fragrance.’
- There are many variations of biryani but they are broadly classified into ‘kacchi biryani’ and ‘pakki biryani.’
- It’s the South Asians, especially the Bengalis, who introduced biryani to the UK.