Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani
eggs - boiled and peeled
salt to taste
tsp red chili powder
tsp turmeric powder
tsp ginger garlic paste
tsp garam masala powder
pinch of black pepper corn powder
tbsp coriander leaves - finely chopped
tbsp mint leaves
green chilies - slit
medium size onions - sliced and deep fried
tsp lemon extracted juice
cups basmati rice - soaked for 30 minutes
small piece of cinnamon stick
bay leaf tej patta
tsp shahi zeera caraway seeds
black pepper corns
salt - to taste
glasses water for boiling rice
Garnishing during dum
tbsp deep fried onion - finely crushed
tbsp mint leaves
tbsp coriander leaves
saffron strands infused in 1 tbsp milk
small size lemon extracted juice
How to make Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani
- Pour garam masala powder, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and ginger garlic paste in a bowl.
- Make a paste from coriander, mint leaves, and green chilies.
- Add a pinch of salt to those ingredients and combine this paste with the marinade.
- Add the beaten yogurt and onions into the marinade.
- Add cardamom powder and black pepper corn powder.
- Mix the mixture thoroughly.
- Add some oil and extracted lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add peeled boiled eggs to the marinade and carefully mix it.
- Rest the marinade and set aside for 30 minutes.
For Cooking Rice
- add water, add salt as per taste in a cooking pot.
- Add whole spices.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice and cook it until 75% done.
- Strain the rice and set aside.
For The Dum
- Grease a flat bottom vessel with some oil.
- Add the egg marinade cautiously to the base of the vessel.
- add the partially cooked rice all over the marinade.
- Garnish with deep fried onions, mint leaves, and coriander leaves.
- Pour ghee over the rice.
- Pour oil over the rice.
- Add saffron infused milk.
- Sprinkle lemon extract over the rice.
- Cover the lid tightly.
- Turn on the stove.
- Place the tawa on the stove.
- Place the vessel over the gridle/tawa.
- Dum the biryani at a high temperature for 5 minutes.
- Put on sim flame and dum for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The dum cooking method most likely comes from the ancient Persian Empire.