How to Make Sandwich Loaf
- Take a saucepan filled salted water and boil it over high heat.
- Add asparagus in the water and cook it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain the asparagus and dry it with paper towels
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook shredded mushrooms for about 2 minutes until they turn brown. Transfer them to a bowl,
- Remove crusts from the bread to form an 8 inch long square loaf slices.
- Spread ¼ cup mayonnaise over the first slice and top with cooked mushrooms.
- Spread ¼ cup mayonnaise on second bread slice, and place ham slices evenly on the bread, keeping in mind not to leave the edges empty.
- Fill the gaps between ham pieces evenly with pistachios, and season with salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Spread 2 tbsp. mayonnaise over third bread slice and place asparagus spears, side by side, down the length of bread slice.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise over fourth bread slice and place over asparagus, mayonnaise side down.
- Squeeze the sandwich loaf by lightly pressing it to make it a bit compact.
- Beat cream cheese and cream until light and fluffy texture, for about 2 to 3 minutes on a medium speed.
- Using a butter knife, spread cream cheese mixture evenly over top and sides of sandwich loaf.
- Refrigerate the sandwich loaf for about an hour and your loaf is ready to serve.
The sandwich loaf is a rare treat to find these days but it was a popular replacement for cakes at birthday parties during the1940’s and 1950’s.