How to make Khoya Gulab Jamun Recipe
How to prepare Khoya
- In a wide nonstick pan, bring milk to a boil and lower the flame.
- Keep stirring and scraping the sides for 45 – 50 minutes. Depending on the type of milk, the Khoya’s color and texture changes accordingly.
- Use milk with the highest fat quantity available.
How to prepare sugar
- Add 3 cups of sugar to 1 and a half cups of water and mix well.
- Let the sugar dissolve and thicken on a medium flame.
- Once you get the desired consistency, addcamphor,saffron and cardamom powder.
- Remove from the flame and let the syrup cool a bit.
How to prepareGulab jamuns
- Add the khoya, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Dissolve the khoya completely so that it blends with all-purpose flour. Avoid pouring water at once. Pour it in a small amount and make a smooth dough.Don't add too much water. The dough should be very soft and yet consistent.
- Prepare small balls.
- Heat oil and ghee for deep frying.
- Fry the balls in the hot oil and deep fry till it is brown.
- Remove the fried balls and drop in the sugar syrup immediately.
- Garnish with shredded pistachios-almonds.
TIP:Roll the balls firmly applying pressure and make the balls as smooth as possible to avoid any cracks. The sugar syrup must be warmwhile soaking the balls. Using hot syrups will break the fried jamuns.
- One theory claims that Gulab jamun was accidentally prepared by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan's personal chef.
- Apart from India, Gulab jamun is popular in Nepal, Pakisthan, Bangladesh.