For the Syrup :
- Take a deep pan.
- Put it on the stove on medium heat.
- Add sugar and water into it.
- Bring it to a boil while stirring it constantly.
- After boiling, remove the pan from the stove and set it aside until it is needed for assembling.
For the Gateau :
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and sugar into it.
- Whisk these with an electric mixer until they turn light and fluffy.
- Add grounded almonds into the bowl still whisking it.
- Add eggs in the bowl in the same manner.
- Add flour and half of the rum into the batter and whisk until the batter turns smooth.
- Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Take a baking pan and place a baking paper inside it.
- Grease the baking paper with butter.
- Pour the prepared batter into the pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down enough to be able to touch it.
- Remove it from the pan and place it on a serving dish.
- Add rum into the already prepared syrup and brush half the syrup on to the cake.
- Let the cake cool down even more then brush the remaining syrup on the cake.
For the Icing :
- Mix up the icing sugar with some lemon juice and rum until the icing is smooth.
- Use a spatula to spread the icing on the cake and refrigerate it for a day to let the icing thicken.
- Serve the chilled and sweet dessert at dinner next day!
- Gateaux Nantais is named after Nantes which is a city of France.
- It is a soft pound cake.
Pound cakes are so called because they contain a pound of flour, sugar and milk each however, these days the ingredients tend to vary in quantity.