How to make Paal Kozhukattai
- Pour 1¼ cups of water in a saucepan.
- Add salt, oil/ghee and mix well.
- Add rice flour, mix well and knead into soft dough.
- Add coconut and knead well without any lumps .
- Divide into small portions and roll them into smooth balls. Set aside.
- Take 3 tablespoons of rice flour in a bowl. Pour water and make into a paste. Set aside.
- Take 2 ½ cups water in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Add the kozhukattai balls to the boiing water, and cook for 10 minutes, until the balls turn soft.
- Add jaggery, coconut and mix well.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the rice flour paste and stir gently, makig sure you don’t break the balls.
- Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Turn off the heat, add cardamom powder and thick coconut milk.
- Serve hot.
Kozhukattai is a Tamil word, it also called as modhakam in the same language, modak in Marathi, Konkani and in Gujarati, modhaka in Kannada, and kudumu in Telugu.
In Japan, a sweet similar to kozhukattai is known locally as Kangidan.