Double Crust Stuffed Pizza
1 1/2 tsp
1 1/2 tsp
package sliced pepperoni
chopped red bell pepper
package fresh mushrooms
chopped green bell pepper
mozzarella cheese (shredded and divided)
pinch oregano and paprika
How to Make Double Crust Stuffed Pizza
- Combine warm water and white sugar in a bowl. Once the sugar has dissolved, sprinkle yeast in the water and let it stand for five minutes until a creamy foam forms. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and stir until the liquid becomes smooth.
- In a bowl, add flour and ½ teaspoon salt. Add half of this flour into the bowl containing yeast and mix thoroughly. Add the remaining flour and knead for 8 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Grease the bowl with oil and place the dough in it. Cover it with a cloth and allow the dough to rise for one hour.
- In a saucepan, add crushed tomatoes, oregano, paprika, 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt, garlic powder and brown sugar. On low heat, cook the sauce for 30 minutes with the lid closed.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Sprinkle flour on a plain surface and roll out the dough. Divide the dough equally into two pieces. The first dough must be 12 inch in size and the other 9 inch in size
- Grease the pan with olive oil.
- Place the 12 inch pizza in the pan and cover with one cup of cheese. Create a circle with the sausage patties and top with pepperoni, red pepper, mushrooms, green pepper and more cheese.
- Cover this pizza with the 9 inch round dough and seal the edges. Cut holes in this crust.
- Spread the sauce on top and slide the pan in the oven.
- Bake the pizza for 45 minutes. Allow it to sit on the rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Your stuffed crust pizza is ready. Enjoy!
- Did you know there was a huge fight between a man named Anthony Mongiello from Brooklyn and Pizza Hut on who came up with the idea of “stuffed crust pizza”? Anthony claimed that he had the patents that dated back to 1987 and later in 1995; he sued Pizza Hut for $1 billion. Sadly, he wasn’t able to prove his claim and lost the battle in 1999.
- In Netherland, there’s a famous pizza called the “Double Dutch”, which is a favorite of all people. Every topping on this pizza is doubled for extra flavor.
- In October 1987, the first National Pizza Day was celebrated.
- There are around 75,243 pizzerias in the US.
- Every year, the US sells out around 3 billion pizzas.
93% of Americans eat one slice of pizza every month.