How to make Codfish Cakes
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add chopped onions, ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper.
- Stir the onions in salt and pepper for 5 minutes or until they are translucent in color. When done, remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.
- Cut the cod into large chunks, and add the chunks in a food processor. Pulse it until the fish is coarsely chopped.
- In a medium sized bowl, add chopped cod, fried onions, tarragon, Tabasco, and egg. Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper on top and mix until everything is well combined.
- Using slightly wet hands, make 3-inches thick patties.
- In a bowl, pour breadcrumbs and dip a patty in it until it is properly coated. Repeat the process with all patties. Shake off excess breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive in a skillet.
- Place as many patties as the skillet can accommodate at once, and cook both sides on low flame for 4-5 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Repeat the process until all the patties are cooked.
- Transfer the cods to a serving dish and squeeze lemon over them directly.
- Serve straight away with your favorite vegetables or a tartar sauce.
- Codfish fishcakes became famous in New England, but China has been enjoying fishcakes for more than 4000 years.
- Fishcake was actually discovered by a Chinese emperor called Shun, when he was in search of a solution for his wives’ bad appetites.