How to prepare cottage cheese
- In a large saucepan, pour the skimmed milk, and place over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and add some vinegar.
- Stir at least two minutes. The curd will separate from the whey.
- Cover mixture and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a strainer lined with a tea towel.
- Once again let sit and then drain for 5 minutes.
- Gather up the edges of the cloth and rinse under cold water for about 5 minutes or until the curd is completely cooled.
- Keep squeezing and moving the mixture.
- Once the mixture completely cools down and dries, transfer to a mixing bowl.
How to prepare chocolate sandesh
- Knead the prepared cottage cheese for atleast 10 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder and knead for another 5 minutes.
- In a wide shallow pan, heat ghee and add the kneaded cottage cheese mixture.
- Cook on a low flame. You will notice that the mixture will let some moisture out.It will also get mushy and sticky.
- Keep stirring and let the mixture form like a dough.
- Do not let it get crumbly or too dry. Turn off the flame.
- While the mixture is warm, knead the cooked cottage cheese mixture gently for one minute.
- Prepare small balls of the mixture and gently flatten them.
- Garnish the spread with pistachios.
- Serve them chilled or at room temperature.
A sweet dish by the name ‘sandesh’ is mentioned in medieval Bengali literature.
Richard Nixon, 37th U.S. president (1969-1974) usually had cottage cheese and a pineapple ring for lunch. He had the cottage cheese flown in from Knudsen's Dairy in Los Angeles.