How to make Vanilla Ice Cream
- Separate egg yolks.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together until completely combined.
- Whisk in cream and milk until completely combined.
- Cook your base on medium heat until it forms a custard.
- Add flavorings.
- Strain into a container and let rest in fridge until cold, preferably overnight.
- Churn ice cream.Freeze in the freezer until firm.
- The waffle cone was created at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis when Abe Doumar, a traveling salesman, encouraged an ice cream vendor to serve their ice cream on rolled waffles made by another nearby vendor when they ran out of paper dishes.
- The first known ice cream recipe was handwritten in the recipe book of Lady Anne Fanshawe in 1665, and it was flavored with orange flower water, mace, or ambergris – an intestinal slurry expelled by sperm whales!
- Chocolate ice cream was invented long before vanilla, and the first documented recipe for it appeared in the book The Modern Steward, published in Italy in 1692.
- Ben & Jerry's was the first company to sell chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in 1991, and the flavor was created based on an anonymous suggestion on a board in their Burlington, Vt., shop.