How to Make Tiramisu Layer Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then flour 3 9 inch round shaped pans.
- While the oven heats prepare and make the cake mix according to the directions on the package.
- Once the batter is prepared, pour two-thirds of it in 2 of the round baking pans.
- Stir instant coffee into the batter that remains in the bowl and then pour that mixture into the last remaining pan.
- Bake the batter for 20 minutes, you can even do the toothpick test, dip the toothpick in the pan if it comes out clean then it means that it has been baked properly. Once you are sure to let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then take out a wire rack, pick the cake from the round pan, and then put it on the wire rack, let it cool for as long as it is needed.
- In a measuring cup mix the brewed coffee with 3 tbsps of Kahlua and set it aside.
- In a small bowl put in mascarpone cheese, ½ cup powdered sugar, and 2 tbsp Kahlua, using an electric mixer beat the mixture at low speed till it becomes smooth.
- Cover the mixture with a plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine cream with a ¼ cup of powdered sugar and beat it at medium-high speed.
- Fold ½ cup of the cream mixture into a filling mixture.
Assembling the cake
- To assemble the cake place a layer of cake on a serving plate and use a thin skewer to poke holes in the cake, the holes should be made 1 inch apart from each other.
- Put 1/3 of the coffee mixture over the cake and then spread half of the filling mixture.
- Do the same with the second layer of cake.
- For the last layer add what remains of the coffee mixture.
- Put frosting on the sides and the top section of the cake.
- Lightly dust the cocoa powder on top of the cake
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes.
Tiramisu is the Italian word for “pick me up”. This could be referring to the appealing nature of the energy-boosting caffeine present in the mixture.