Tangy Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Large onion (chopped)
crushed garlic cloves
cans of chopped tomatoes
teaspoon of dried chili flakes
teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
teaspoons of sugar
large handful of basil leaves
freshly ground pepper to taste
salt to taste
grated parmesan cheese to garnish
How to Make Tangy Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the oil.
- Stir in onion and garlic until they are softened, but not browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chili flakes, balsamic vinegar, and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook on low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir in basil and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- You can blend the sauce in a food processor to form a more smooth sauce, or it can be left a little chunky.
- Smear over cooked pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese.
- The traditional pasta sauces are categorized into the tomato or vegetable-based sauce, cream-based sauce, cheese sauce, herb-based sauce, and oil-based sauce.
- Tomato and basil sauce is a combination of tomato-based and herb-based sauce, resulting in a more vibrant and tangy flavor to pair with pasta.
Thick tomato sauces such as tomato and basil pasta sauce are generally used with shaped pasta like Gemelli, route or trenne pasta.