How to make Thekera Tenga Aru Mass
- Soak mangosteen petals in little warm water for 1/2 an hour.
- Rub the cleaned washed fishes with salt and turmeric powder. Heat the oil. Fry the fish till done.
- In the remaining oil, add dry red chili and for on. When the for on starts to crackle, add the boiled potato and haldi powder to it and stir it everything gets mixed properly.
- Then add the mangosteen along with the water. Stir it for sometime till the liquid evaporates.
- Then add hot water to it. Add salt to taste.
- When the water starts boiling, add fish. Cover it with water reduces to your desired consistency.
- Add little jaggery or sugar to suit your taste.
- The taste should be sour with little sweetness.
- Switch off the gas. Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with green chilies.
- Serve with plain rice.
- In India, Thekera comes from Assam. It is green at the beginning, gets deep purple when ripe and turns deeper purple or almost black when dried. It is used as a souring agent in many preparations.
- The scientific name of Thekera is Garcinia Mangostana of Garcinia Indica Family.