How to Make Tarte Tatin
For the Apples
- Peel off the apples.
- Slice the apples into quadrants.
- Remove their cores and place them in a bowl.
- Slice the lemons in half.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top of the apples.
- Make sure you remove all the lemon pits from the bowl.
For the Caramel
- Place a non-stick frying pan on the stove on low heat.
- Add caster sugar into the pan.
- Let the sugar sit into the pan at low heat so that it can melt into the caramel gradually.
- As it completely melts down, add the star anise into the pan.
- Let it cook until it releases a slight smell.
- Add butter into the pan and let it melt as well on low heat.
- Add cinnamon into the pan as the butter melts too.
- Mix it up with the caramel.
- After mixing, add apple liquor into the pan.
- After a minute, add the apple slices set aside into the pan.
- Arrange the slices in a circle around the corners of the pan. Place a few in the center.
- Coat the slices well with the caramel.
- Let the apples cook on low heat for at least 10 minutes until the apples are tender.
- While the apples simmer, prepare the dough for the Tarte Tatin.
For the Dough
- Spread some dry flower on a flat platform on the kitchen countertop.
- Roll the puff pastry flat using a rolling pin and more dry flour if needed.
- Shape it round in the shape of the pan.
For the Tarte Tatin
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Cover the top of the pan with the dough.
- Using your hands, tuck in the sides of the dough around the corners of the pan.
- Use a fork to make a few holes in the dough to make sure it does not puff up too much.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 30 minutes.
- Once, baked remove the pan from the oven.
- Let it cool down for a minute.
- Then place a tray on top of it and using oven mitts, turn the pan over so that the Tarte Tatin falls into the tray. Do it in a quick swift moment.
- Serve hot or let it cool down before taking a bite!
This dessert has been named Tarte Tatin after the hotel it was first prepared in. The hotel is in France.