How to Make Hunter’s Rabbit
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Medium heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Evenly coat the rabbit portions with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Once the oil is heated, add in the rabbit. Let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until it turns brown on both the sides. Remove the rabbit from the skillet and transfer it to a casserole dish.
- In the same heated skillet, add some more olive oil. Add in the mushrooms, carrots and shallots. Cook them for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the flour, thyme, parsley, and the bay leaf over the rabbit. Stir in the tomato sauce, burgundy wine, and the beef broth. Mix until properly combined. Add in the salt and pepper, if required.
- Cover the dish with an aluminum foil and put it in the oven to bake, until the rabbit is tender. This will take about 2 to 3 hours.
- Once properly cooked, remove the dish from the oven.
- Serve it onto a serving platter and enjoy!
- Rabbits are the most social creatures, and the busiest time of the day for them is at dusk and dawn.
They are territorial animals which mean that they prefer to have lots of space. Like humans, they get bored easily.