How to make Red Velvet Ice cream
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, half-and-half, salt and sugar in a blender.
- Blend all the ingredients to form a smooth mixture.
- Make sure that the mixture is not runny and has a thick consistency.
- Chill the mixture and overnight or for at least eight hours in the fridge.
- Place the mixture in an ice cream churner and churn it using the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place the red velvet cake crumbs in the container designated to hold the ice cream while the ice cream is churning away.
- Carefully fold the ice cream in with the crumbs so that they are nicely integrated into the ice cream.
- Place the ice cream into the refrigerator and allow it to set for a few more hours (at least 3-4 hours).
- Take it out and serve the ice cream in bowls, cups, or waffle cones!
During the Second World War, when food was scarce, bakers often used juices from boiled beet to add color to their red velvet cakes.