How to make Red Velvet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 °
- Grease two 9-inch round pans.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar and shortening until they turn very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Make a paste with the red food coloring and cocoa.
- Mix 1 tsp vanilla, salt, and buttermilk together.
- Add the flour to the batter – alternating with the buttermilk mixture.
- Mix just until incorporated.
- Mix soda and vinegar.
- Gently fold mixture into the cake batter.
- Don't beat or stir the batter after this point.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven to the point that a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely on wire rack.
- Cook 5 tablespoons of milk and flour at a low temperature until the mixture thickens.
- Stir constantly.
- Let it cool completely
- While mixture is cooling, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add cooled flour mixture and beat until the frosting consistency reaches a quality good for spreading.
- Frost cake layers when completely cool.
Traditional red velvet cake is not made with food coloring.