How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with 1 tbsp. of the butter.
- Use some flour to dust the pan. Tap out any excess flour.
- Make the Cake: Melt chocolate with the 8 tbsp. butter in the microwave. Stir until creamy and smooth.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until thick, about 3 minutes, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until the mixture is stiff, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the melted chocolate to the yolk mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool cake on a wire rack.
- Make the Chocolate Ganache Icing: Bring cream to a simmer in a saucepan. Add the chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until ganache is smooth. Cool slightly. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the ganache over the cake.
- Garnish cake with raspberries and whipped cream.
Chocolate is a member of the Malvaceae family. Okra and cotton are also in the Malvaceae family.