How to Make Qabooli Biryani
To cook rice:
- Wash and soak the rice for 2 hours and drain completely.
- Combine soaked rice, salt, oil and some water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Strain and transfer to a deep vessel. Add the ghee and mix well.
To prepare channa dal
- Wash and soak chana dal for 2 hours and drain completely.
- Combine soaked chana dal, turmeric powder, salt, and water in a deep non-stick pan.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes while stirring occasionally. Strain and transfer to a deep vessel.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a wide pan. Add onions, ginger-garlic paste, cardamom, and cinnamon. Sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flavouring powders and let the mixture cook over a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Lower the flame, add the curds, mix well,and cook for 30 seconds while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked chana dal and little salt. Mix gently and cook over a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
To assemble the biriyani
- Combine saffron and warm milk in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Melt ghee in a deep pan cook on a medium flame and remove from heat.
- Spread half the quantity of rice, followed by half of the chana dal mixture, and then, half of the mint-coriander mixture.
- Pour half of the saffron-milk mixture and 2 tbsp of rose water evenly over the layers.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 1 more batch of layers.
- Place the pan/handi cook on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- There are around 20,000 species of legume plants.