How to Make Chicken Reshmi Biryani
- Marinate the chicken in the yogurt, salt, ginger and garlic pastes, turmeric, coriander, chilli powder, and garam masala for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- In a large pan or kadhai, heat enough oil to cover the onions. Fry the onions till crisp and brown.
- Strain the onions from the oil. Set aside the oil.
- Add some salt to 8 cups water and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Add the rice and cook for about 8 minutes, until almost done. Drain rice and set aside.
- In a large cooking pan that has a lid, heat about 1/2 cup of the reserved oil. Add the chicken in a single layer.
- Make a layer of 1/2 each of the onions, cilantro leaves, and rice over the chicken. Repeat the layers.
- Use some dough to seal the pan. Before you apply the dough, make sure you grease the edges so that the dough will be easy to remove later on.
- Cook on high heat for 10 minutes. After that, place on a griddle or tawa, and lower the heat. Cook for 1 hour. As an alternative, you could use a moderate oven to cook it for about 1 hour.
- Break the seal. Your delicious chicken reshmi biryani is ready to serve. You can use the same pan toserve it or you can transfer the food onto a plate.
Get a Vaya Tyffyn lunchbox to ensure your foods are never cold. These lunchboxes are made to be very airtight so your meals stay in perfect conditions. There’s no need for reheating or microwaving before you can enjoy your meal that’s still steaming hot.
The word “Biryani” originated from Persia. There is a popular theory that it is derived from “birinj”, the word for rice in Persian language.