- Take a clean platter and place the slices of rye bread on it. Spread brown mustard on both the slices.
- Season with pepper and garlic powder and layer each slice with a slice of sweet onion and Limburger cheese.
- If you want you can add pickles or sardines in the sandwich you can do that too if it suits your taste buds.
- Serve it with your favorite beer.
- Limburger cheese is named after a province named Limburg in Belgium. This is where it was first sold and was made from Belgian cow’s milk.
- Since the 19th century, it has been essentially a German cheese.
- It is believed to be among the Old world varieties among other cheeses and is considered to be a standalone cheese of Monroe, Wisconsin.
- The flavor of the cheese is not as strong as the smell itself.
- It is said that the strong and pungent aroma of the cheese starts to get stronger as the cheese starts to ripen after a few weeks.
The bacteria that cause the strong smell of the Limburger cheese is called ‘brevibacterium’.