How to make Kerala Mutton Stew
- Wash the mutton thoroughly.
- Heat a pan on a medium flame.
- Add 4 – 5 cups of water.
- Add the mutton pieces, crushed ginger, and salt into the water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook it till it is tender. Ginger gives a good flavor to mutton when cooked.
- Take a vessel and boil potatoes and carrots.
- In a separate pan, add mustard oil heat it on a low flame. Add onions, green chilies, ginger, garam masala, curry leaves, and Sauté these ingredients well.
- Add boiled mutton pieces, potatoes, carrot, and coconut milk. Cook the mixture on medium flame for 6 – 7mins. Check with the consistency and make sure it is not too thick.
- Once cooked, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- The yummy dish is ready. Serve it hot.
- Stews are Traditionally made with breast or shoulder of lamb.
- In olden days, poorer households would avoid using imported spices to save cost and cook the stew using more meat, vegetables, and grains