How to Make Gerber Sandwich
- Take the bread and slice it long ways and put in a small tray.
- Take butter in a small bowl, add in some crushed garlic and mix thoroughly, until a smooth paste is formed.
- Spread the thick paste uniformly all over the bread, making sure to apply some extra on the edges.
- Once you are done with the spreading, add a layer of ham slices on the sliced loaf.
- Now for the stretch effect coat the sandwich with slices of provolone cheese.
- Give it the final touch by sprinkling paprika over it.
- Broil the entire sandwich open faced, on top rack of an oven until the cheese melts and starts turning brown and crispy.
- Your Berger sandwich is ready to be served with your favorite dips.
- The Berger sandwich was first served by a local-family owned Ruma’s Deli.
- It’s named after Dick Gerber, who lived next to the shop. He used to prepare his meal in that deli. Mr. Gerber impressed the owners with his unique sandwich recipe so much that they decided to include the sandwich in their menu.