Fried-Brain Sandwich with Parsley Green Sauce
For the sandwich :
head of garlic, with skin
black peppercorns in a cheesecloth
bundle of fresh herbs
all purpose flour for coating purpose
cup of milk
cup of bread crumbs
quart of vegetable oil for deep-frying
freshly baked buns, split in half
For the green sauce :
bunch of parsley, leaves only
bunch of dill
small can of anchovy fillets, finely chopped
cloves of garlic, finely grated
extra virgin olive oil
freshly grounded black pepper
How to Make Fried-Brain Sandwich with Parsley Green Sauce
- First of all wash the brains with cold water to properly clean them.
- Then, take a 2 quart pot of steamy water and add in the garlic, peppercorns and herbs. Put the brains in the water and let it simmer for about 15 minutes in the mixture to give it an aromatic flavor in the end.
- After the simmering is done, drain out the brains in a dry bowl or a plate.
- Take 3 bowls with each having flour, whisked eggs with milk and breadcrumbs separately.
- Coat each brain in flour, then coat it in the egg mix, then coat it in the breadcrumbs. If you like your brain with an extra layer of crisp then repeat the cycle twice.
- Heat the oil up to 360 °F and deep-fry the brains until they are golden brown and crispy. It will take about 3 minutes. After they reach a golden color drain them on paper towels.
- Toast the buns with butter on a sauce pan until a light brown color is achieved. Place the fried brain inside the buns with your desired toppings.
- To prepare the parsley green sauce, finely chop the herbs and mix them with anchovies, garlic, and capers. Add some olive oil into the mixture until it gets a smooth texture. Season it with black peppers to taste.
The calves’ brains are preferred for this sandwich as the older cows are prone to mad cow disease which can be harmful for the consumer.