- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes until it is creamy.
- In a large bowl, add 3 cups flour, oil and slat and beat it for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add in the remaining 3 cups of flour and continue beating until a stiff dough consistency is formed.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth for about an hour. The dough should rise and be doubled in size.
- On a flour dusted surface, punch and roll out the dough and keep kneading until smooth.
- Knead the dough again and cut it in 2 equal parts.
- Shape the 2 parts into long loaves.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a baking pan or tray with some cooking spray and cornmeal.
- Make slashes on both the loaves in a diagonal manner.
- Bake the loaves for 30 minutes.
- You can sprinkle some cold water after 10- 15 minutes of baking to make the crust
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy with spread of your choice or eat it on the side during your meals.
- You can also make garlic bread by spreading some garlic butter with freshly chopped chives on top.
The first civilization to ever make bread, were the ancient Greeks.
They made 80 different kinds of bread in 2500 B.C