How to Make Fortune Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 160 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a baking parchment.
- Print out fortunes on a paper measuring 6cm long by 1cm wide.
- Put the egg whites, vanilla, almond extract, oil and cold water into a bowl. Whisk with an electric beater until smooth and frothy.
- Now add in the plain flour, corn flour, sugar and salt. Whisk until the batter is thick. Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour to cool.
- Now put a tablespoon of mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Using the back of an oiled spoon, swirl the mixture into a circle to make cookies. Repeat the process with another tablespoon of the mixture. Make sure there is space between the cookies.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds over the cookies.
- Bake them for 10 to 15 minutes until the edges of the cookies turn golden.
- Turn the cookies over and put the fortune in the middle of the circle.
- Fold the circle in half to secure the fortune inside. Put the two edges together to seal.
- Gently pull the corners of the cookies so that they bend in the middle to get the fortune cookie shape.
- Place the folded cookies into a cup of muffin or a tin to hold their shape.
- Three billion fortune cookies are made each year around the world.
- The origin of the modern day fortune cookies are unknown; but it is strongly believed to have originated in Japan.
The largest manufacturer of fortune cookies is Wonton Food Inc., headquartered in Brooklyn, New York.