Preparation of Mango Kulfi
- Heat 2 tsp water and infuse saffron strands.
- Blend mango with double cream and condensed milk to smooth.
- Add cardamom powder and infused saffron (along with the water) to the mango-cream-milk mixture and stir.
- Transfer the blend into popsicle moulds, insert sticks, and freeze for four hours.
This recipe serves 3 and takes 10 minutes to prepare.
- You can use almond milk instead of condensed milk, in which case, you need to slightly warm almond milk and add sugar, before adding the other ingredients.
- Chopped pistachios and nuts can be added into the pureed mix for texture and taste.
Preparation of Semolina Laddoo
- Pre-heat a thick-bottomed pan on low flame.
- Add ½ tbsp ghee and roast chopped nuts until slightly brown. Set aside.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp ghee, roast semolina until you get a waft of the aroma and its color changes lightly.
- Stir in milk and sugar and let thicken. Once sugar dissolves, turn off the heat.
Note: to prevent semolina from clumping, add milk in parts and keep stirring.
- When the heat is still intact and tolerable to touch, make lemon-sized balls.
- Let the laddoos cool at least for an hour before serving.
- You can also add khoya or condensed milk instead of regular milk, in which case, you have to negate the sugar, because condensed milk already has a good dose of sweetness.
- Grease your hands with a little ghee to make glossy laddoos.
- You can decorate each laddoo with a stud of cashew!
- Note that the semolina, while roasting, doesn’t have to become brown. It just needs to change color a little and give out an aroma.
This recipe makes 6 – 8 laddoos. It takes about 15 minutes to cook and 15 minutes to prepare.