How to make Classic Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook noodles as per directions on the package and drain.
- Cook sausage, beef, and onion over medium heat for 8-10 minutes in a Dutch oven. Break meat up into crumbles, making sure it is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, water, basil, 3 tbsp parsley, fennel, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- In a separate small bowl, mix egg, remaining parsley and salt, and ricotta cheese.
- Pour 2 cups of your meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9 inch baking dish and spread to cover the bottom.
- Layer 3 noodles and one third of the ricotta mix, sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, and repeat twice.
- Top with the meat sauce and cheeses still remaining. The dish will be very full, so be cautious placing it into the oven and removing it later.
- Bake for 25 minutes, covered.
- Remove from the oven, uncover, and replace to bake for another 25 minutes, or until it begins to bubble.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 15 minutes before serving for best results.
- Cut your Lasagna into squares, serve hot, and enjoy!
This Classic Lasagna is sure to win the admiration of all that behold it. Take your leftovers to work in a lunch box, and wow the office too!
- July 29th is National Lasagna Day in the US.