- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Add the spinach to the boiling water.
- Let it cook for a maximum of 2 minutes.
- Prepare the ice by mixing it with some cold water in a bowl nearby.
- Remove the spinach from the saucepan.
- Dunk the spinach in the ice cold water.
- Blend the spinach into a fine puree using a blender or food processor.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the mustard seeds.
- Add the dried red chilies and the asafetida after the mustard seeds begin to splutter.
- Add the pureed spinach and salt.
- Mix well.
- Let it stay on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Spinach is native to Persia, which is modern day Iran.