How to make carrot pickle
- Wash, peel and dry the carrots.Cut the carrots into medium thick slices. Cut off the yellow middle part and throw it away.
- Grind the mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle and add it to the carrots.
- Add the chili powder, salt, dry mango powder, fennel seeds, turmeric and asafetida to the mixture.
- Add the mustard oil to the mixture. If mustard oil is not available then you can add any other oil for the pickle. Add more oil if you feel the pickle mixture is too dry.
- Transfer the pickle mixture to a medium sized glass jar.
- Store the jar at room temperature for 5- 7 days and don’t forget to stir the pickle everyday so that the carrots absorb all the flavors and spices fully.
- Serve as a condiment with dish you desire such as rice and lentils or parathas and enjoy!
- Pickles boost the probiotic content of your meals.
- Pickles akaachaar, play a huge role in Indian cuisine. Even if one doesn’t have anything else to eat with their naan, a little pickle is all they need to stay satiated.
- There are dozens of different pickles or achaars such as green/red chili. Onion, mango, lemon, tomato, coconut and mixed etc.
- People mostly think that carrots are orange/red but they can also be white, purple and even yellow!