How to make Beef vindaloo
- Start by making the beef marinade.
- Mix the vinegar, ginger and garlic pastes, yoghurt, red and black pepper, and salt, in a bowl.
- Place the beef cubes in the prepared mixture.
- Make sure that each piece of beef is covered evenly with the mixture.
- Cover the bowl tightly with a plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator to marinate.
- Note: It is best to leave it overnight. However, it is only necessary to marinate the beef for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a large skillet and heat the vegetable oil over a medium flame.
- Put the onions into the oil and cook them until they turn translucent and then golden brown.
- Add the marinated beef pieces to the onion and cook until the beef changes color and is no longer pink outside.
- Note: The process will take around 10 minutes.
- Add the plum tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring it to a simmer.
- Cover the mixture and let it cook on a medium flame.
- Cook until the beef pieces turn tender.
- Note: This will take around 40 minutes.
- When the beef becomes tender, give everything a good stir and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot!
The dish was introduced when the Portuguese came to India for trade and was later transformed to suit our palate.