Prime Rib Au Jus with Yorkshire Pudding
pound bone-in beef rib roast
cloves garlic – quartered
tsp freshly ground black pepper
cups all-purpose flour
cup prime rib pan drippings
cup white wine
cups beef stock
How to make Prime Rib Au Jus with Yorkshire Pudding
- Place the roast in a roasting pan bone-side down.
- Poke 24 small 1 in deep holes throughout the roast using a sharp paring knife.
- Stuff each hole with a sliver of garlic.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt and copious amounts of black pepper.
- Let the roast sit at room temperature for 2 hrs.
- Note: This will reduce the chill and allow the meat to cook more evenly.
- Prepare the pudding batter by beating the eggs, milk, and a pinch of salt together in a bowl until the eggs turn smooth.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Cover the Yorkshire pudding batter, and place in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Cook the roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 350° F and continue roasting until the center of the meat reaches 140° F
- Note: This process takes about 1 hr.
- Remove the roast from the pan when it’s complete.
- Cover with aluminum foil and let rest in a warm spot while you prepare the Yorkshire pudding.
- Measure 1/2 cup of beef fat and equally divide among 12 muffin tins.
- Discard the remaining fat.
- Place the grease-filled muffin tins into the oven and raise the temperature to 425°
- Preheat the muffin tins for 10 mins, then fill with the refrigerated batter 3/4 of the way before placing them back in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the puddings have risen tall and are golden brown.
- To a roasting pan over medium-high heat, add the wine, simmer and scrape to dissolve the pan drippings. Pour in the beef stock and return to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 min, then strain and serve with the roast and puddings.
October 13th is National Yorkshire Pudding Day in the UK.