How to Make Vichyssoise
- Take a large pot and get it up to medium heat.
- Pour butter in it and let it melt.
- Add leeks and onions to it and continue stirring.
- Once the onions are light brown, lower the heat and cover the bowl.
- Let it cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes as well as soon salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Add thyme, marjoram, bay leaf and keep stirring.
- Once all the items are properly mixed, cover the pot.
- Let it all simmer for about 15 minute.
- The chicken stock and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the soup puree in a blender and blend it until it smoothens.
- Add cream to the soup.
- As the soup will change consistency depending on whether you’re serving it cold or warm, make sure you have that in mind.
- Vichyssoise is named after a French town of Vichy which became the centre of attention after the Nazi invasion of France.
- The dish gained worldwide acclaim after it was exclusively reported on by the New Yorker magazine in 1950.
- Notable food chef and critic Anthony Bourdain has listed Vichyssoise as one of the reasons why he fell in love with fine dining and cuisine in the first place.