How to Make Uddina Vada
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for about 4–5 hours or overnight. Drain.
- In a blender, grind dal, green chilli, cilantro, onions, and salt. Add ginger and peppercorns, if using. Add ¼ cup water in short intervals until the mixture turns thick, fluffy and slightly gritty.
- Note: To check if the batter is ready and well aerated, drop 1 tsp batter into a cup of water and check if it floats. If it doesn’t, transfer the batter to a mixing bowl and stir briskly for a minute.
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl. Wet your palms and scoop small portions of batter to roll into lemon-sized balls. Press your thumb in the centre to make a hole.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a wok. Fry the balls in batches at medium heat, turning them occasionally. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the uddina vadas from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve hot.