How to Make Paneer Jalebi
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water and bring to a boil. Add cardamom, saffron threads, and lemon juice. Stir until it forms a single-thread to double-thread consistency.
- Knead chhena in a bowl to form a soft and moist dough. Add cardamom powder, flour, and baking powder and mix well.
- Roll the dough into a medium-thick rope of around 12 cm (5 in).
- Wind or coil the dough, make two and a half turns leaving small space between the turns.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a wok. Fry the dough spirals in batches at medium heat, turning them occasionally. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Dip the fried jalebis in warm sugar syrup immediately. Cover and let stand for few hours. The jalebis should absorb the syrup and swell in size. Serve warm or cold.