- 5 pounds of plum tomatoes
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- Salt for seasoning
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp basil, finely chopped
The tomato compote is a simple yet delicious recipe which is perfect for those afternoon get-togethers. It is easy to prepare and economical for budget oriented individuals such as students and interns. Although the prep time can take anywhere from 2 hours to 3 hours, the actual cooking duration takes only about 30 minutes. The end result is a mouthwatering combination of meat and dried plum tomatoes which can be enjoyed by the whole family.
The tomato compote can be eaten hot or cold and can be served as a side dish with any kind of meat. It can also be added to salads or spread on sandwiches, making it an incredibly versatile recipe.
- Tomatoes are a major source of lycopene, an important antioxidant which has been linked with many health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Apart from lycopene, tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and vitamin K.
- Together these nutrients help to regulate normal blood flow, prevent clotting, assist in the distribution of calcium throughout the body to help strengthen bones and reduce bone loss.
How to Make Tomato compote