How to Make Tomato compote
- Preheat the oven to about 280 degrees.
- Inscribe a shallow ‘X’ mark on the bottom of the tomatoes and transfer them to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir in water and bring them to a boil.
- Pour the boiling water over the tomatoes and let it stand for a minute.
- Drain the tomatoes. Remove the skin from them and halve lengthwise.
- Return the tomatoes to the bowl.
- Stir in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange the tomatoes on the rack, cut sides up. Roast until it has a leathery texture. The process can take about 3 hours.
- Add the tomatoes and basil in a food processor and blend until they are chopped up.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add to salads or spread on a sandwich to enjoy.
- Did you know that there are over 7500 varieties of tomatoes grown all over the world?
- There are several ways to eat tomatoes. Some people prefer to eat it raw like a fruit while others prefer to use it as an ingredient in dishes, sauces and salads.