How to make Gavar Bhaji
- Wash the gavar beans thoroughly with water and rise them well. Cut the top and bottom of each beanstalk and chop them into roughly ¾ inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan. Add the onions and stir-fry them till transparent. Add the green chilli, turmeric powder, and a pinch of asafetida and sauté.
- Introduce the tomatoes and continue to sauté till the tomatoes become a little soft. Add in the gavar along with salt and stir well.
- Cover the pan with a rimmed lid and pour water over the rim of the lid. This will help create steam which, in turn, helps in cooking the gavar to perfection. You can also add water to the pan directly and then cover it with a lid all the while cooking it on a low flame. If the water dries up, you can add more water if the gavar are not fully cooked through yet.
- Remove the lid when the beans are cooked. If there is any water remaining, reduce it by stirring it over a medium flame without the lid. Once cooked, remove the gavar bhaji from the flame and garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot.
Did you know cluster beans are legumes and a source of guar gum? It is a great thickener that is used as a stabilizer in the food and beverage industry. The guar hum contains as much as 75% dietary fiber and is even used in the baking industry to improve the quality of the dough!