Thai Crispy Catfish and Green Mango Salad
For Mango Salad
1 red chili – deseeded and chopped
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
½ onion — thinly sliced
1 green mango – julienned
2 tbsp roasted peanuts
2 tbsp cilantro — chopped
500 g catfish
1 tsp soy sauce
Oil for frying
How to make Thai Crispy Catfish and Green Mango Salad
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Wrap the catfish in a non-stick baking sheet and grill in the oven for 20 minutes. Unwrap and cool the fish. Separate the flesh from the bones and flake the flesh into large pieces using two forks.
- Place the flaked fish on a plate to dry.
- Peel the mangoes and slice into thin matchstick-like pieces.
- Dry roast the nuts in a pan until golden brown.
- Pound the chilies, peanuts, and sugar in a mortar and pestle. Add fish sauce and lime juice and mix till the sugar is dissolved. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the chopped onions and mango.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Deep fry the flaked fish in batches until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
- Transfer the fried fish to a serving plate and serve the mango salad beside the fish. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Catfish are freshwater fish and are found all over the world. There are almost 2900 species of catfish. The smallest catfish are about 1 inch long and the largest ones can be more than 15 feet in length. Some catfish swim upside down, some grunt (talk), and some are transparent. The largest blue catfish to be caught till date weighed 124 pounds.