How to make Gawar Sabzee
- Wash the gawar well with water and drain. Cut into medium pieces. Wash and peel the potato and cut into medium size thin slices. Again, wash potato thoroughly after peeling and cutting and drain.
- Boil the chana in a pressure cooker for ten minutes until soft. Do not boil in the water used for soaking overnight. Discard the water and boil in fresh water.
- Place a cooking pan or karhai on the flame and add mustard oil into the pan and heat till friable hot. Lower the flame and add the cumin seeds into the hot oil (should make crackling sound).
- Add the sliced onions and fry till slight golden. Add ginger garlic paste and stir-fry. Add the gawar and the potato and stir-fry for few minutes, till the vegetables lose their raw look.
- Add tomato, green chilies, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Stir and mix well, cover the lid, cook while simmering and stir in between. When tomato turns pulpy add the safed chana. It is better not to add the safed chana much earlier as these are already soft after boiling.
- Stir well and cook with a little water for a few minutes to acquire a thick gravy consistency before turning off the gas knob.
Did you know that cluster beans are the source of the guar gum used in several industries? Gawaar is available in all parts of India and is full of the goodness a green vegetable can promise! Gawar can be tastefully combined with gram and potatoes to achieve a high protein, energy and vitamin combo.