How to Make Tawa Surmai
- Pat dry the steaks of king fish or the surmai
- Marinate the fish with lemon juice, salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Set the marinated fish aside for an hour, preferably inside a refrigerator.
- Now, in a separate bowl create a mixture of ginger paste, garlic paste and mustard oil.
- Take the fish out of the refrigerator and marinate inside the second marinade. Now, keep the fish inside the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Before you take out the fish, heat refined oil on a tawa. Once the oil is hot and has properly been simmered, take out the fish from the refrigerator.
- Add the marinated steaks one after the other and cook evenly.
- When the steaks have turned crisp and golden brown on both sides, take them off the tawa and place in a tray.
- Serve the fish hot with some seasoning of salt.
Surmai fish is basically a sea fish among the mackerel variety of fishes. It is loved in India, because of its unique taste and is enjoyed after frying.